Administrator
Amerithoner
RTYer
Voyager
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Jul 25, 2022
is anyone using this app to train for the Camino in Spain? I will be walking 100 miles in Sept 2023 and need to train and would love a buddy to keep me motivated.
Hi! I actually just did the Camino this past September, and I also did about 100 miles! This is a great way to start training - happy to answer any questions about it!

Upvote 0

cw18

Amerithoner
RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Not specifically.

I was supposed to walk the Camino in 2014, intending to leave home early September and get back early November. I was going to do the full walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, and then on to Finisterre and back to Santiago which should take about 6 weeks in total - but I also planned to go off the route to visit a few places which would add on an extra couple of weeks (always planning to then rejoin the path where I broke off).

In the July I went away to do some walking in a more hilly area while testing out a fully loaded backpack - and on day 1 I mananged to slip and break a wrist! I ended up having an operation to have a plate put into my wrist, and the physio that followed started pretty much as I was due to go.

Finances meant I then had to find a job (I'd been out of work and living off savings for a while, and had intended to look for work as soon as I got back), so the Camino is now on hold until I either retire or win the lottery - and I think I know which is more likely to be the case, so at least another 5 years before I even start planning it again.

Upvote 0

Dawn E.

RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Oct 18, 2022
IL
is anyone using this app to train for the Camino in Spain? I will be walking 100 miles in Sept 2023 and need to train and would love a buddy to keep me motivated.
I’m hoping to walk it within the next five years, but I want to do the full route from SJPdP to Santiago, and that means taking off work for over a month which isn’t possible just yet. I plan to train and condition for it while I sort out the logistics.

Upvote 0

cw18

Amerithoner
RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
So sorry to hear about your wrist @cw18 - hope it's feeling better now!? One day I hope to do the full thing, but it does take a lot of time, money, and planning, that's for sure, but totally worth it when you make it there!!

It has some limitations - I can't 'plank' or do some yoga/pilates moves with adapating them (I have to put weight on my lower arms rather than my hands, as my wrist doesn't flex enough to put my hand flat on the floor). And it aches in cold weather, which is fun given I have an outdoor job :D It also aches if I do more cycling than normal - and that doesn't have to be far as I don't do much, and regularly go months without doing any at all. These days it's a competition to see if my wrist or my rear end starts to complain first.....

But in the main it's good.

Upvote 0

Alfreda C. (528416768)

RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Sep 30, 2022

It has some limitations - I can't 'plank' or do some yoga/pilates moves with adapating them (I have to put weight on my lower arms rather than my hands, as my wrist doesn't flex enough to put my hand flat on the floor). And it aches in cold weather, which is fun given I have an outdoor job :D It also aches if I do more cycling than normal - and that doesn't have to be far as I don't do much, and regularly go months without doing any at all. These days it's a competition to see if my wrist or my rear end starts to complain first.....

But in the main it's good.

Upvote 0