Advice for first time marathoners?

Nora L

RTYer
Streaker
Hugger
Sep 27, 2022
Hello all! After years of running half marathons I decided to run a full in 2023. My race is in March and training is going well but I love tapping into the wisdom of others.

What do you wish someone had told you before your first marathon?
What tips or tricks do you have from your marathon experiences?
What would you advise me to avoid doing?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Laurent

Administrator
Amerithoner
RTYer
Voyager
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Jul 22, 2022
Hello all! After years of running half marathons I decided to run a full in 2023. My race is in March and training is going well but I love tapping into the wisdom of others.

What do you wish someone had told you before your first marathon?
What tips or tricks do you have from your marathon experiences?
What would you advise me to avoid doing?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Hello there, Nora,

My top tips are:
  • In training, long, steady runs are the most important. Assuming a relatively flat course, your out and back should be at the same effort level. If you can progressively increase the distance to 8, 9 miles, you know you are doing it right. So, if you go out and cover 8 miles, then turn around and cover another 8 miles on your way back home, and your effort level stays the same as you approach home, you have completed an excellent long run.
  • I don't think it's possible to run the first 2-3 miles too slow. If you are at a stage where you are very close to your potential, then yes, you might have to run these early miles at your target pace, but otherwise, it's fine if you run those early miles 1-2 minutes per mile slower.
  • Running steep downhills in training will strengthen your legs and prepare them for the kind of stress you experience at the end of a marathon. But don't do that in the last 4 weeks of training. In a marathon, if there are downhills early on, don't rush down those, take it very easy, or you'll pay later.
  • Run your own race. Don't compare yourself to others. If you find someone who matches your ability, run with them, but be ready to part if or when they slow beyond your level of comfort.
  • Don't overdo the drinking while on the course. Oftentimes, first-time marathoners are told to keep drinking and they end up drinking too much. You need to figure out in training what you need. Use those long runs for that.
  • They'll be dark times and they'll be times when you feel "nothing can stop me now!" You must expect both and you must accept both. When the dark times come, play with pace...slow down, then get back on pace, then slow down again, etc. for a few minutes...wait it out.
  • Understand that being at the starting line is a gift. You have trained, you are healthy and your body is able. Think of your marathon as of a victory lap. Because it is what it is: The culmination of effort and will.
I could go on a while, but I'll stop for now. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Kelly T.

RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Dec 1, 2022
Omaha, Nebraska
  • Stay off your feet before the race. In other words, don’t go spend six hours at the expo! Rest prior to the event is vital and you do not need all the extra time on your feet.
  • Nothing new on race day! NOTHING! If it isn’t tried and true, it will not do!(unless you want to chance blisters, chafing, etc.)
  • Your race, your pace! Don’t waste your time trying to keep up with everyone around you. You may start slower, but you don’t want to wear yourself out keeping up with others.
  • Practice with what is on the course, i.e. Gatorade, Nuun, etc. If you aren’t carrying nutrition and hydration, this is not the day to try something new (refer back to bullet 2). Also be aware that backpacks, camelbacks, etc. are not allowed at some races (Chicago, Boston, Detroit International,and some others). It’s a safety thing after Boston a few years ago. Detroit is a customs issue. No, they will not make an exception!
  • Recovery afterwards is essential! Get off those feet and get your legs up a wall! Do not plan on being on a plane that afternoon following your first marathon. Once you’ve done a few, you’ll know how you recover and what works best for you.
  • Chocolate milk is your friend in the first 30 minutes after the event or a long run. Many people say it’s gross, but it’s benefits are great! The protein is great as you need it to start rebuilding those muscles you just abused.
  • If you lose weight or put on a ton of weight during training, you need to look at your nutrition (unless weight loss is a goal, but seek assistance to lose a significant amount). Ideally you want to be staying fairly consistent weight wise. Feel like you need to eat everything in the house? You may need to make some adjustments, as your body may not be getting what it needs. Not eating much, again you may need to make some changes to ensure you are getting everything you need for proper recovery.
  • Break out your race day shoes at least a month ahead of time to get some miles on them. They may be a tried and true brand and style, but they may be a disaster waiting to happen. Give them some good short runs and at least one long run to make sure they are “the ones.” If not you still have time to find the “it” shoe (yes I do this every time and still take four pairs with me to race day just in case - I rotate roughly six pairs in a training cycle, so I always have a back up and punt option).
  • Be prepared for anything. Raining on a long run day? Get out there! You can’t avoid rain on race day, but at least you can be prepared for it!
  • For the love of everything holy, duct tape does not belong on shoes! If it is raining, oh well! Just have to deal with it. If you duct tape your shoes to prevent your feet getting wet then be prepared to deal with tons of blisters and swelling feet! Our shoes are designed to be able to breathe (circulate air) to help draw moisture away from your feet, which moisture causes blisters. Duct tape your shoes and you have now created a trap for all that moisture and a habitat for germs (ewww-Athletes’ Foot)
  • If it rains and your shoes get wet, take out the insoles and stuff the shoes with newspaper. Shoes will dry much quicker as the newspaper is a great moisture absorber
I’m sure I’ll have more as well and happy to answer any questions. Come join us on the Half Marathon and Full Marathon group on Facebook as well. We are always happy to help!

Upvote 0

Gigibabyblue

RTYer
Jan 1, 2023
Canton, Ohio
I’ve never ran a marathon before but I have done 1/2’s and relays etc. I’m running my first marathon this year as well, May 7th. But I think it’s important to follow a good plan, stick to it, and try to run the same time every day if you can, or at least the same time every “Saturday” or “Sunday” whichever day lines up with your race day, and treat the night before and morning if JUST like a race day each week during your training… same foods, same nighttime routine, etc, bc this will help your body feel the same and know what to expect on your “actual” race day. Also I like energy jelly beans to eat every 2 miles. I don’t like the gel packs or gummies, for some reason the jelly beans just work for me. :) good luck on your journey! I’m reading other folks’ responses as well, because I can use the advice too!

Reactions: Nora L
Upvote 0

Jane A. (448593920)

RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Oct 8, 2022
It helped me to have a goal of just finishing. I knew I could finish even if I had to walk most of it so that took the pressure off (I chose a race that had an 8 hour cutoff for that reason). Give yourself lots of grace and trust your training.

Upvote 0

Gail R. (1619591170)

RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Jan 2, 2023
Good luck on your first marathon!

- The absolute most important hint that several have given already is absolutely nothing new on race day.
- Go with the flow and don’t let anything bother you. For example, the weather is uncontrollable. Everyone in the race is running with the same conditions, so do not panic even if it is not what you expected.
- This is your first race, so no matter when you finish, it will be a personal record! This will never happen again, so enjoy this.!
- And the one thing I wish someone had told me is: you will never ever feel as bad following this marathon as you will after your next ones. (Just know this.) The next day or two I could not walk downstairs and felt so sore. I have run many marathons after my first one, and my body seems to have adjusted.
- Best of luck on this cool goal that you have set for yourself. Follow your training plan and be sure to have a taper

You are going to kill this race.

Upvote 0