Administrator
Amerithoner
RTYer
Voyager
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Jul 25, 2022
I recently joined a local running club. I’ve enjoyed running with everyone in the group runs so I’m hoping that will help get me out there when it’s cold. So far so good but it’s just starting to get cold here
I also just joined a couple local running groups - definitely keeps me accountable and gets me outside in the cold!

Upvote 0

Erin M. (3842179072)

RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Nov 22, 2022
Seven Hills, OH
I use a treadmill or just walk the house. I belong to a couple of challenge groups which gives me tasks to do during the day to keep motivation flowing
I walk the house too. I’m WFH, and sometimes it gives me a nice break from my desk, especially when it's cold and snowy in OH.

Upvote 0

Abbott

RTYer
Streaker
Hugger
Nov 1, 2022
Tucson, Arizona
I walk the house too. I’m WFH, and sometimes it gives me a nice break from my desk, especially when it's cold and snowy in OH.
Don't mind the cold, but it's the icy streets that put me off. Was visiting a relative in Wichita last February when we were hit with 7" of snow. It all turned treacherous the next day since the temp never made it above 20! Tried walking instead but opted for cappuccino and extended time with the family after I nearly fell on my keister!

Upvote 0

cw18

Amerithoner
RTYer
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
At this time of year I don't do a great deal of what I class as exercise.

I work outdoors, so I walk around 11.5 to 12 miles a day anyway - and often come home freezing cold and soaking wet - that I don't count as exercise unless I run my commute to walk, as it doesn't raise my heart rate significantly because I've been doing it too long (my body's used to it).

I don't get up and go out early, as I'd have to dry off and defrost before starting work.
I'm too tired after work, and I'm not going out to get wet again after I've dried off and defrosted on reaching home.
It's also the busiest time of year for work, so I don't have a lot of spare time anyway!

But on days off work I regularly volunteer as a dog walker with a kennels that rehomes ex-racing greyhounds. On a Sunday we sign up on a rota for the following Monday to Sunday, and once signed up they expect us to turn up - so no backing out just because it rains or snows, although they sometimes cancel the walks as the weather isn't good for the dogs (we had a number cancelled over the summer because it was too hot for them).

And I very rarely drive or catch buses to go and do shopping, so that's all mileage walked too. Not uncommon for me to do a 7-12 mile round trip for groceries at least once every 6 weeks. Or 13 miles into the city centre to do some Christmas shopping or attend an opticians appointment, although I do get the bus home those days.

Reactions: Abbott
Upvote 0

Abbott

RTYer
Streaker
Hugger
Nov 1, 2022
Tucson, Arizona
At this time of year I don't do a great deal of what I class as exercise.

I work outdoors, so I walk around 11.5 to 12 miles a day anyway - and often come home freezing cold and soaking wet - that I don't count as exercise unless I run my commute to walk, as it doesn't raise my heart rate significantly because I've been doing it too long (my body's used to it).

I don't get up and go out early, as I'd have to dry off and defrost before starting work.
I'm too tired after work, and I'm not going out to get wet again after I've dried off and defrosted on reaching home.
It's also the busiest time of year for work, so I don't have a lot of spare time anyway!

But on days off work I regularly volunteer as a dog walker with a kennels that rehomes ex-racing greyhounds. On a Sunday we sign up on a rota for the following Monday to Sunday, and once signed up they expect us to turn up - so no backing out just because it rains or snows, although they sometimes cancel the walks as the weather isn't good for the dogs (we had a number cancelled over the summer because it was too hot for them).

And I very rarely drive or catch buses to go and do shopping, so that's all mileage walked too. Not uncommon for me to do a 7-12 mile round trip for groceries at least once every 6 weeks. Or 13 miles into the city centre to do some Christmas shopping or attend an opticians appointment, although I do get the bus home those days.
Not a bad way to live!

Upvote 0

Briana

Administrator
Amerithoner
RTYer
Voyager
Fit-scapadist
Streaker
Hugger
Jul 25, 2022
Now that the colder months are creeping up on us I’m trying to figure out how to get my miles in. I’m worried that I’ll lose motivation because I hate the cold. What does everyone do to stay motivated this time of year?
I have to have a race on the calendar personally - it helps me keep my focus. I do REALLY love running but truly the cold and dark days are tough so having that race I want to do well at really helps.

Upvote 0